Thursday, April 24, 2014

Oh to walk the furious road, like totally to the max!

     Well here we are again today true believers on another glorious Thursday in April. What does your old pal the shadow know on this day? Well for one I know never to run with scissors. They are quite sharp and you may stab things you don't wish to in very unpleasant ways. So I don't suggest it. Also, I happen to know that eating an apple a day keeps the doctor away is just dribble and tripe, and to this I say BULLY! I have to say that if you ever break a bone eating an apple will not keep the doctor away. Nor if you are sick with the flu... apples are good but not that good. Alas I digress, for once again The Shadow is babbling. This Sunday I record another podcast of How I Geek (podbean.com) with Greg and crew. Our geek discussion of the week is boardgames and the warm fuzzy memories they brought us in our youth and hey maybe even some warm fuzzes today. Who doesn't need the occasional warm fuzzy from time to time.

     So now I am on to the topic of today. What is that topic you might ask? Well I assure you from the title it is not about Valley Girls. I mean I know they just wanna have fun, but have no place here amongst the shadows. No I wish to discuss the new Mad Max movies scheduled to come out in the next couple years. For those that do not know or like hiding under rocks (hey some people like cool and damp places, I don't judge anyone if they like hiding under them) Mad Max is set in a future post apocalyptic world. The great world war has cause high crime, general anarchy, and of all things fuel shortages. Mel Gibson (in his break out roll) stars Max Rockatansky, a lawman living in an age of lawlessness just trying to survive and yet always finding trouble. The first movie (released in 1979) Max fights lawbreakers and motorcycle gangs whom kill his wife and child for his trouble. In his revenge he kills them all and goes out into the wilderness to escape the final glimpses of society. The Road Warrior (released in 1981 and my personal fav) has Max helping out a group of good people defending their fuel and in the Thunder Dome (released in 1985) he saves some kids from Tina Turner and her villainous town helping them to rediscover what is left of society. Personally I love all of these movies. The first helped not only Mel Gibson's career, but also gave Australia an in into the movie market. I lost count how many times I watched these as a kid. They were well written and beautifully shot, by George Miller and Bryon Kennedy. I could talk about them all day, I mean they are grrrrreat! So what does the future hold then for the franchise?

     In 2003 it was announced that George Miller had decided to make another go of the franchise and after many setbacks can finally make it a reality. The events of this 4th installment will take place after the events of Thunder Dome. From everything thus far I have read I do not believe this to be a total reboot of the series. For the role of Max Tom Hardy has been given the opportunity to either impress us or blow it totally in the role of The Road Warrior we all love so much. You may remember young Mr. Hardy from such roles as Shizon, the Picard Clone of Star Trek Nemesis, and Bane from Batman the Dark Knight Rises. Now Miller has also stated that this script has taken a life of it's own and will have 3 total new movies once the dust has settled. Now I for one am glad to see a return of Max to the big screen and the fact that the original mind which gave birth to the first set of movies has returned to give us more is pretty freaking awesome. This gives me hope that we are not diving into the sewers and wading  waist deep in filth and tragedy that bad sequels can give us. The fact that Mel Gibson will not return is a mixed bag as well. We can definitely argue he is to old for the role, but Harrison Ford pulled off a great Indiana Jones (even if the movie sucked ass) in his later years. The problem is what baggage now comes with Mr. Gibson and the messes he seems to leave in his wake. No I am afraid it is time to pass the Max torch to another. I only hope Hardy can give us the quality character that Mel gave us back in the day. It can drive one crazy the many ways this movie can go wrong, but I will hold out faith that Mr. Miller has not lost his chops for movie making. I will be in those theatre seats giving this movie a go and hoping for the magic of my youth. What do you think Shadow fans? Is this another case of a sequel to late or are you all on the march to watch a future world gone crazy with me. Let me know what you think and until next time folks I will see you in the shadows... like totally for sure to the max!

1 comment: