Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Caution overloading transformers can be dangerous

     Greetings and salutations Shadow fans and welcome to another installment of The Shadow Knows. What does The Shadow know today true believers? Well for one you should never carry a large broadsword during a lightening storm. It may look cool in The Highlander, but rather fatal for us mortals. This week on podbean the how I geek gang talk about general geektitude once again and some speak about Amazing Spiderman 2. I have my doubts any of us will have seen it by then, but what the hey we will give it a try. So give us a listen. You might find us cool... Maybe not what the hey.

     Today the topic of this wondrous blog is on the Transformers past, present,and future. Transformers started in 1984 as a 3 part mini series. It was about two sentient robotic races that have been at war with one another for centuries. During this war their resources were depleted and in a desperate attempt to find more a band from each side went out on a great hunt (not duckhunt mind you). During the exploration each side battled and they crashed landed on earth 4 million years in our past. By happenstance their computer is reactivated and they are regenerated to fight their war upon our planet in our present day. On the side of evil there are the Decpticons ruled by the merciless Megatron. On the the side of good there are the peace-loving Autobots and their leader the awesome Optimus Prime. The original series lasted 4 seasons and had one motion picture. After it ended in the states Japan picked it up for 3 more seasons. I have personally never seen them, but have heard they are not as great as the US version. This original series was what I waited for in great anticipation everyday after school. I loved it and can't say enough about it. Over the years there have been several incarnations of this series with mixed approaches. My least favorite of these was Beast Wars. Ugh, I know there are those who will say Shadow it was great you are crazy. For you I say that is ok, but for me I say MEH!!! We all geek in different ways and I say if you love it more power to you. For me it made no sense to me in my Transformers universe. The shows that followed got better until finally in the final incarnation, Transformers Prime we have something that I feel is much closer to that original series. With the return of Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime this makes all the difference to me. It is my hope that the future of transformers is safe in the hands of the current torch holders. I would personally love to see a series done as a sequel to the orginal, but who knows. As a tear falls from my eye... alas.

     In 2007 Michael Bay and Steven Speilberg released Transformers to the big screen. I have to admit I was sceptical going into this movie. I must say after watching I did very much enjoy it. In true Michael Bay style there were explosion galore and with Speilberg we had some great storytelling in between rockets red glare and bombs bursting in the air. Alas though with most sequels they degenerated as they continued until now we are going into number 4. Now from what I have seen of the trailer it is not a reboot per se', but it is a different approach compared to the last 2. I will go see this movie, but I am hoping that it is not a pile of cosmic rust. I want this movie to be good, but we can't always get what we want (but if we try sometimes we just might find we get what we need... oh yeah). I mean seriously Megatron was the big bad scary boogy man and in the last 2 movies he had little to no bearing on their outcomes. His appearance in the last movie was a total joke and a real disappointment. It was something that came out of Unicron's rear end. With the coming of Galvatron and the addition of Mark Wahlberg I see great things coming around the corner for this movie. I just hope I don't run smack into it. Man that can hurt you know. People break noses doing things like that all the time. Another cool aspect of course is the introduction of dinobots and predicons, at least I hope that is what they are. If not that will be a colossal disappointment and I will be forced to shout obscenities at the screen, buwahahaha. Any who Shadow fans what do you think. Will this movie help save the movie franchise. Can Steven Speilberg make a good original alien movie again? Can Michael Bay make a movie that is good without explosions? How much wood could a wood chuck, chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? These are the question that keep me up at night. Please answer them, I need some sleep. I think I am hallucinating... is that Kermit the Frog? But alas I am babbling again. Tell me what you think true believers I can take it. Until the next time folks I will see you again from the shadows. Robots in disguise...

4 comments:

  1. Sadly the next animated series is a sequel to Transformers Prime with Bumblebee as the leader. I wish they would give Hot Rod/Rodimus his fifteen minutes.

    Grimlock, T4 had me at Grimlock. Optimus riding Grimlock into battle, f-yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh that does suck. Prime has gotta lead the crew, he is the main man. Rodimus would be alright for the short game though. I agree that Grimlock is a hook for me. He is afterall my favorite dinobot. I just hope that it is all that it appears to be and not some stupid hook to draw us into a feint and switch. Finally Thank you I can't agree more about beast wars ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or bait and switch even... In my best Snagglepuss impersonation :).

      Delete