Thursday, June 19, 2014

Look all and you shall hear the ballad of unsung cartoons of old

     Hello Shadow fans and welcome to the next installment of the Shadow knows woooooooo. What pray tell does the Shadow know this day true believers? Well I know you should never play with the wrong end of a chainsaw. Believe it or not there are those who must be told this is a thing you shouldn't do. I have a hard time believing some hard working lumberjack who has been cutting wood all day would say, "Boy I gotta tell you that was a hard day of work holding this end of the chainsaw. I know how about I hold the long end for awhile cuz it looks easier, hey where did all my fingers go!" Yes I can't tell you the number of times that I, like a moth to a flame have just wanted to grab that wrong end only to be pulled away... blah. What a truly marvelous world we do live in that gives us these strange little nuggets of joy in our daily lives. Any who, Sunday we have another podcast at podbean.com with Greg and the boys (and lady shout out to Amy). This week on How I Geek, John gets his deepest desire as we get to talk Conan the Barbarian. So it will be happy times for him he he, ha ha, ho ho and off to the funny farm we go. So why don't you come and join us? We have cookies here at the funny farm, only we don't share boooowahahaha.

     So now onto the topic at last... hoooray! The topic of discussion today kiddies is cartoons that were cool, but yet still getting no love today. Over the last 40 years of my life (I know he is sooooo old) I have seen many cartoons come and go and then come again (and not always in a good way hehe). From Transformers to GI Joe and from Thundercats to Voltron. There have been many, many, redos and reboots in the cartoon world. I mean just how many Spider-Man and Batman cartoons have there been in the last ten years, a few I might say (wait was that me or the voices, I often get them confused... oh well). But what about shows like Battle of the Planets from the 70's? This was a show that lasted many seasons had great potential and yet we haven't even given an attempt to revive it. While He-Man was getting his return to the small screen, Dungeons and Dragons the animated series was getting no attention at all. This to me seems a travesty and a waste considering the quality of cartoon programming today. I mean when you have mind numbing shows like Chowder and Uncle Grandpa how is it that good quality shows from days gone by don't even get a second look. Of course super hero shows like Spider-Man and Batman have staying power due to their saturation in the comic book world, but come on how can you ignore stuff that has such great potential like Swat Kats. Well any who to follow are a few of my personal favs that I think should get some new life breathed into their dried out, mummified lungs.

     The first show I wish to mention and that belongs at the top of my list is M.A.S.K. the animated series. This is not to be confused with the 90's cartoon series titled the Mask of Jim Carrey fame (now that would be just really silly and we can't have that). M.A.S.K. stands for mobile armored strike kommand (now you can't really spell mask with a c and it make sense can you, again that would be just silly). The series was created in 1985 by DIC and Kenner and was created to compete with Sunbow's G.I. Joe and Transformers. It is about this super spy organization run by millionaire Matt Tracker. Trackers one and only mission is to stop the terrorist group Venom, run by Miles Mayhem (cool villain name am I right). Both the teams wear masks that give them each special powers and abilities and they drive vehicles that transform into other things like boats, subs, and jets. Mayhem's vehicle never made any sense to me as it turns from helicopter to a jet. Why not have a car turn to jet or helicopter and not two flying vehicles. I guess he really doesn't like driving. Alas I digress. This show ran for 75 episodes and 2 seasons, but really if you are going to watch stop after season one. Season 2 ends very early and rightfully so. The show really takes a turn for the worst after the first season. They turn it into a show all about racing and spy stuff sprinkled in. It is really not well thought out or done. So if there is a reboot in the future they can really just leave out the last season and thank you for your support. All-in-all this is a great show. I think it has good potential that could be modernized and made into something even better. I could even envision a live action series come out of this premise, but alas I see nothing in the foreseeable future that says this show will get the new life it deserves.  

     Next up to the podium is Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors. This is another little creation by DIC, but this time partnered up with the Mattel Corporation. This little number was also developed for TV by that little known guy J. Michael Straczynski of Babylon 5 fame. First airing in 1985 this show is about a scientist who creates the answer to the universes food shortage in the way of a special plant. Alas as often happens, a freak accident radiates the plant and mutates it into a maniacal being bent on cosmic conquest. I tell you this happens to me at least once a week in my garden. That is why I gave up on keeping a garden altogether. It is truly safer for the universe that way. So now on with the story. The scientist has a special root that can stop the menace, but his son has the other half of this root and both halves are required to save the universe. The series takes off with his son Jayce trying to meet up with his father with his heroic group called the Lightening League and save the universe with a root. It ran for 65 episodes and though the premise sounds weird it is really fun to watch (says the man with voices in his head... hey stop that). This show could use a little tweaking, but then again it is close to 30 years old and would need it anyway. There are lots of great elements here that could really make for a great animated series reboot and would love to see it happen. The villains/plant vehicles and characters are well put together and the Lightening League persona's are well developed. The heroes are individualized and cleverly written. The fact of the matter remains that the people in charge don't see the potential that is there. I am beginning to think that they have trained monkeys running the animation studios throwing poo at the wall to see what sticks.

     Next up on board for all you post apocalyptic, fantasy fans out there is Hanna Barbera's Thundarr the Barbarian. This show of awesomeness ran for two short season from 1980-1982. It takes place in the far flung future (not far flung poo) after the Earth is torn asunder violently when a run-away planet hurtles between the Earth and the Moon. In this future there is mutations, super science and sorcery has made a return. Out of this chaos comes Thundarr the barbarian, Princess Ariel the sorceress, and Ookla the Mok (reminiscent of Chewbaka of Star Wars fame). They step up and help the little guy in adventure after adventure. I love the way that Thundarr tries to interpret old Earth junk and how Ariel (a keeper of old Earth knowledge) has to explain to him what it really is. It reminds me of the old TSR RPG Gamma World which has a similar premise. Ookla is great to watch with his smash everything and ask questions later attitude. Thundarr uses his sun sword to thwart evil. This device is part science and part magic and can only be wielded by Thundarr (an ID lock of some kind). This weapon hearkens to the lightsaber created for Star Wars, but with a little more jazz like shooting energy blasts. This is a really fun series to watch and is another one I could see a live action movie spin-off from it. Alas if only someone could see the potential that I see in it. I dunno maybe I could bribe the execs with bananas or something.

     My next to last mention of the evening is the Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light. This great show of awesomeness was created by Sunbow and Hasbro in 1987. This show never really had a chance from the gate lasting only 13 episodes. It did OK on TV but, the toy line did not do so well. The other problem was that Sunbow started into a decline after it's three failed movie attempts (Transformers, My Little Pony, and GI Joe for those of you at home keeping score) and closed it's ranks with Hasbros failing toy line based cartoons. The story goes that on the planet Prysmos magic and science come in cycles. During the age of science magic is surpressed and during the age of magic science is suppressed. This all comes as a shock to the modern inhabitants of Prysmos whose tech all suddenly fails. The world is flung into chaos and people have to get used to living a primitive way of life. Man starts donning armour and using swords to protect themselves and evil men start to take advantage of the planets situation. It is at this time the wizard Merklynn approaches the worlds warriors to give them a chance to gain the powers of magic. From this contest the evil Darkling Lords are founded, but on the side of light comes the Knights of the Magical Light or the Spectral Knights. The show is just about their adventures of good vs evil and trying to live in a world filled with magic. It is pretty cool all the way around and I think would have a better chance as a cool series reboot then it did back in the day. I can dare say even see live action big screen goodness here too. If you have not yet checked out Visionaries then go sally forth young one and do so. 

     And now without further ado is my final lost cartoon of coolness... drum roll if you please, the Galaxy Rangers. This cowboy space odyssey was created by Gaylord Entertainment Group and ran for three season from 1986-1989. The final season of this show is OK, but the first two are really great. Again we have a show in the future (just not the far flung future but rather round the corner few years from now future). Earth is visited by aliens seeking our help to defend the universe from the Queen of the crown and her empire bent on ruling the universe. In return they give us hyperdrive technology and other technologies to help aide us in that plight. This show has a cool western, space, action feel too it. I did not watch this show as a kid and did not discover it until a few years ago. I found it by accident online and was instantly hooked. The characters are well developed, although some of the story is not. It does make up for that in its ability to weave the tale it is telling that day and the great interaction between the cast. It is more on the kid side of things as it is a kids show. With some of that modern tweaking this could be another great show that the kiddies will be talking about. At the very least here is another big screen movie opportunity as well. As I think this would transition well to that medium. So there you have it folks 4 unsung shows that seriously need some love. I have a couple of honorable mentions I would like to throw in that I think should be brought back to life, but I do not have the time to write them all up. Robotix, Bravestarr, Pirates of Darkwater, and Blackstar all of these shows could be rejuvenated for the modern era and I think could be made to live again (It's alive, It's alive!!!). There are many more I am sure, but alas are not coming to me.

     Well that is it this week Shadow fans. Tune in next week where you will see cartoon execs juggle bananas all while evading poo. It will truly be fun times. By the way have you noticed how music for cartoons has changed as well. In the past a lot of shows had music that you could play in you car and rock out to and now the themes are just lame and sad, oh how sad. Any who so tell me what you think Shadow fans. Are there any old shows that you would love to see get the reboot/rebirth it needs. Do you disagree with my choices. Am I making good life choices? Am I just going crazy and who took the cookie from the cookie jar? I said we don't share. I don't want it back though you can keep it... blah! So till next time folks I will see you from the shadows. 

3 comments:

  1. I didn't car for Jayce or Galaxy Rangers. Mask, Thundarr and Visionaries on the other hand I really liked and all three are need of some love.

    I only had two figures from the Visionaries toy line. Can't remember which ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I thought the figures were cool too. I had Leoric, check I still do. I don't remember you having any, but that doesn't mean you didn't lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, i traded them to Jason for one of his transformers, thundercracker I think.

    ReplyDelete